Wednesday, December 12, 2012
The chain of command, the structure of authority:
1Co 11:3 Now I want you to know that Christ is the head over all men, and a man is the head over a woman. But God is the head over Christ.
GOD, the Father -> is the head over Christ
Christ -> is the head over all men
Man -> is the head over a woman
Teachings for husbands in the Church:
1Co 7:3 Let the husband give to the wife proper kindness, and likewise the wife also to the husband.
Eph 5:23 A husband is the head of his wife, as Christ is the head and the Savior of the church, which is his own body.
Eph 5:25 A husband should love his wife as much as Christ loved the church and gave his life for it.
Eph 5:28 In the same way, a husband should love his wife as much as he loves himself. A husband who loves his wife shows that he loves himself.
Eph 5:33 So each husband should love his wife as much as he loves himself, and each wife should respect her husband.
Col 3:19 A husband must love his wife and not abuse her.
1Pe 3:7 If you are a husband, you should be thoughtful of your wife. Treat her with honor, because she isn't as strong as you are, and she shares with you in the gift of life. Then nothing will stand in the way of your prayers.
Overseers - 1Ti 3:2-7
- must be above reproach
- the husband of but one wife
- able to teach
- not given to drunkenness
- not violent but gentle
- not quarrelsome
- not a lover of money
- must manage his own family well
- must see that his children obey him with proper respect
- must not be a recent convert
- must also have a good reputation with outsiders
Deacons - 1Ti 3:8-12
- are to be men worthy of respect
- not indulging in wine
- not pursuing dishonest gain
- must be the husband of but one wife
- must manage his children and his household well
- must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience
- deacons must first be tested and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve
- a deacon's wife must be a woman worthy of respect, not malicious talker but temperate and trustworthy in everything
Man of God
2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be perfected, thoroughly furnished to every good work.